A Girls Porno
Guys and porn are frequently discussed topics; in the christian world, in comedy, in films, and even everyday ‘banter’. Girls using porn however is a bit of a taboo, and this silence subtly hints that porn is simply a guys problem and not an issue girls come to encounter. That sadly isn’t the truth.
We all live in this sexualised society and porn can be a central influence in the way we think, feel and relate to sex whatever gender we are. Here’s are some striking stats:
- 53% of UK women read erotica novels at least occasionally (The Guardian)
- XXXchurch, an online Christian resource for porn addicts, cites that 1 in 3 visitors to adult sites are women (xxxchurch.com)
- Over 9 million women view porn monthly, and 13 percent of women admit accessing porn at work. (xxxchurch.com)
- According to a study published, about half (49%) of young adult women agree that viewing pornography is an acceptable way of expressing one’s sexuality. (Journal of Adolescent Research)
- 70% of women keep their cyber activities secret (XXXchurch.com)
Most first encounters with porn can happen accidentally or simply through curiosity, but it's sometimes justified as a means to find out more about sex. This can be through erotica, videos, magazines, photos and even online chat. As it is so easily accessible, and with God creating us as sexual beings, what is so destructive about porn?
More and more research shows that porn is crippling our society and i’m not just talking about Christian research, but secular too; studies have started to show that porn use is linked to low self esteem, dissatisfaction in relationships and addiction.
God has designed us as sexual beings, however the destruction of porn clearly shows us that it is not the way our sexuality is designed to be. God designed sex to be GOOD, and Gods way of sex is going to be the most fulfilling (check out what the bibile says about sex). So there IS another way.
Another important issue is that the devil can easily use porn to store up a whole load of lies and misconceptions about sex that can leave us feeling rubbish.
- Negative body image, constantly objectifying people leads a similar scrutiny of ourselves
- A skewed understanding of sex and its purpose, with a huge focus on pleasure and meeting expectations
- Low self esteem
- Shame and loneliness (this can be a big problem for girls who can rarely have conversations about this)
THE LOUD TRUTH
The beautiful thing about being a daughter/son of God is that He wants us to know the TRUTH and His truth blasts all the lies that porn and the sexualised culture we live in build up out of the water, 'Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free' John 8:32.
IT’S TOUGH not to be tempted when we have so many different channels easily accessible, and a society that often seems to reinforce the acceptability of searching and consuming. But I encourage you to be strong, strengthened by God's unfailing love for you, and secure in the knowledge that there no shame is too deep for His grace, and girls you are certainly not alone.
If this is something that you'd like to find some more teaching about, then check out the website xxxchurch.com. It's full of teaching and wisdom on this subject.